We are pleased to share that over the next nine months, York University will work towards developing a fully integrated, institutional-level strategic plan (I3SP) for internationalization and global engagement
Through the new I3SP, the University will look to implement the objectives for internationalization and global engagement in the University Academic Plan.
Through the development of an institutional plan, York University can build its strengths, create a distinct vision, and expand opportunities for students, faculty, and staff to contribute towards local and global impact.
York University’s vision — to be a community-engaged university committed to the social, economic, environmental, cultural and other well-being of society — reflects its understanding of the interconnection of global and local issues.
York’s Current International Activities:
York’s expansive global reach and engagement of its faculty, staff, students, alumni and partners includes:
- International academic and research collaborations
- Centres in India and Costa Rica
- International students from 178 countries
- Global learning opportunities such as exchanges, internships and study abroad courses for students and alumni in 40+ countries.
York’s commitment to global engagement is reaffirmed and referenced in key planning documents:
- Provostial White Paper, 2010
- Institutional Integrated Resource Plan
Developing the I3SP:
The I3SP will be developed through a consultation process to inform a framework and strategy facilitating and coordinating efforts across the University.
York International will establish a President’s Council on Internationalization & Global Engagement (PCI) to serve as an advisory body to the president. The PCI will consist of representatives across the University community. These representatives will provide input into the consultation process and the plan itself. This council will be chaired by the provost and vice-president academic.
The PCI will begin meeting in March 2019. The work of the President’s Council is intended to last approximately nine months.
Establishing University-wide goals for Internationalization:
The President’s Council will continue the upward momentum that York University has established over the course of many years in its global engagement.
The President’s Council will allow us to accomplish four goals over the next six to nine months:
- Review York’s current international activities and global engagement.
- Develop a strategic framework to address the various dimensions of internationalization and global engagement in the context of York University’s distinctive context and institutional mission.
- Develop strategic goals that will sharpen York’s global presence and help expand its effectiveness in international education for students and faculty.
- In the long term, this plan is intended to help deepen York’s global engagement, including developing global leaders and citizens, and the opportunity for faculty and students to contribute to global impact through research, education and service.